tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 07 11:29:51 1997

questions and 'e'

	I am very impressed with the arguments against using questions in
'e' constructions.  However, I remain unconvinced.  One problem I have is
the notion that using 'e' to refer to questions only refers to the first
word. This is not the case.  If it were, there would be no reason to
include the rest of the question.  I think a very good point was made that
chay' functions like an adverb.  This is quite illuminating.  So:
	chay' qaS 'oH = it happens how?
with 'how' functioning as a 'blank' adverb, to be filled in with an answer.
	By the same token, we can say:
	nom qaS 'oH = it happens quickly
This time there is no blank.  We know how it happens: quickly.  But the
sentence structure is exactly the same grammatically.  Further, we can
say: nom qaS 'oH 'e' vISov = I know that it happens quickly.  'quickly' is
functioning in exactly the same manner as in "nom qaS 'oH".  Now, since
they are both adverbs, why should the rules be different for "chay'"?
	chay' qaS 'oH 'e' viSov = I know how it happens.
More precisely, by TKD (pg. 66) it is:
	chay' qaS 'oH 'e' viSov = How did it happen? I know that.
Which expresses, at a deep level, the notion that I know the manner in
which this event occurred.  The expanded version does, I concur, reflect
the version which can accurately be expressed with -bogh.  And, I agree
that the -bogh version IS more precise and unambiguous.  However, unlike
Lojban, Klingon isn't afraid of vagueness or ambiguity.

Scott

Back to archive top level