tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 05:50:01 1997

RE: plans

[email protected] on behalf of David Crowell wrote:
[other examples cut]
> Huch nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' Human 'ach Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sov Human.
> Paris doesn't know the one who took the money but Paris knows who took
> the money.

Is there a difference in *meaning* between these two sentences?  I cannot
detect any, beyond the possible number of theives in each one.

It looks to me like in the second part in English, "Paris knows who took the
money," "who" is a shortened version of "the person who."  I don't think this
is a question as object sentence, even in English.  It's not "Paris knows (who
took the money)," it's "Paris knows [the person (who took the money)]."

SuStel
Stardate 97849.6

Back to archive top level