tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 05 21:40:42 1997

Re: plans

William H. Martin wrote:

> How may I politely point out that you are not paying attention?
> Grammar has function. Relative clauses have a function.
> Sentence As Object constructions have a function. If you look
> at the function of a Sentence As Object construction, you will
> notice that it does not match that which you are seeking with
> your Question As Object. If you look at the function of a
> relative clause you will noticed that it EXACTLY matches what
> you are trying to accomplish with your Question As Object
> construction.

>From the Esperanto grammar {Plena Analiza Gramatiko}
(I must apologize, because for the moment I cannot find a grammar in
English that talks about indirect questions and relative pronouns)
A indirect question consists of an interrogative sentence, transformed
in a phrase such that it is asked about in another sentence. I add this:
<The whole prase is referred in the sentence *in which it contains*.>

But,
a relative phrase is a phrase with a relative pronoun (or without one in
English) that is referring to an antecedent (or a precedent in some
languages). <One element in the relative phrase is referring to another
element in phrase which it contains.>

In all the languages I have studied (and I haven't studied just a few)
the interrogative words are used in indirect questions.
But there is a difference in meaning between an indirect question and a
relative clause. Here is a short lutHom that I wrote, and the conclusion
about **who know whom and what they know**.

lutHomvaD ghotvam laDalu':
personae dramatis:

verengan chom, chom loDnI', chom loDnI'puq
Quark, Rom, Nog,

paghlogh tengchaHDaq ghaHbogh vulqan,
Tuvok (first time on DS9)

paghlogh tengchaHDaq ghaHbogh Human je.
and Tom Paris (also a new to DS9)

lut:
Story:

loDnI', loDnI'puq je pIn ghaH chom'e'.
Rom and Nog are working for Quark.

tachDaq, chaHvaD DIlmeH, Huch roQDI' ghaH tachvo' jol vulqan.
The Vulcan beams Quark away from the bar
as soon as he puts the money on the bar to pay them.

Huch nge' wa' verengan 'ej tach lumej cha' verenganvam 'e' bejtaH Human.
Paris watches one of the Ferengi take the money and both of them leave.

DaH tach Human.
Now Paris leaves the bar.

tachDaq chegh chom.
Quark returns to the bar.

This is what can be known from this short story.
lutHomvo' De'vam

Huch nge'bogh ghot Sov chom, 'ach Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sovbe' chom.
Quark knows the one who took the money, but he doesn't know who took the
money.

Huch nge'bogh ghot luSov loDnI' loDnI'puq je 'ej Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' luSov
loDnI' loDnI'puq je.
Rom and Nog know the one who took the money, and Rom and Nog know who
took the money.

Huch nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' vulqan 'ej Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sovbe' vulqan.
Tuvok doesn't know the one who took the money nor does Tuvok know who
took the money.

Huch nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' Human 'ach Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sov Human.
Paris doesn't know the one who took the money but Paris knows who took
the money.

Back to archive top level