tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 05 14:46:42 1997

jIchuSchoHqu'be'jaj

Fine - I'm not taking issue with the comments regarding par'Mach/parmaq
and the possible ways of translating agape' [I'll happily provide the
original Greek text of the verse if someone *wants* that.].  parmaq is
almost certainly a lousy word for "love" as expressed in agape'.  We don't
have any really good words - the paucity of our dictionary is legendary. I
chose this over something using "muSHa'" another contender for "love". I
could have used some construction with "nob" to emphasize the "giving"
notion of agape.  OTOH, were I a "missionary" to the Klingons, maybe I
would use "parmaq" - aiming at moving them toward a new understanding of
parmaq.

But, the bottom line (for me if no one else) is I've used the verse as a
PERSONAL reminder not to get to het up about stuff like tlhIngan Hol... it
is a *hobby*, a silly diversion, NOT something to take seriously*.  (This
isn't to say that I don't become at times, quite eloquent in explaining
the value of studying Klingon and other constructed languages.)

"If I speak with the languages of men and of angels...."

   .... or Klingons, Ferengi, Vulcans, Elves, Woozes, or Ettins .......

"but don't have love, I have become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal."

	Joel.

*NOTE: I said this was a personal reminder - i.e. a reminder to me, from
me.  Feel free to take it as seriously as *YOU* like.

Back to archive top level