tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 30 11:52:16 1997

KLBC: Words for assassin & blade

I have a couple of questions about words:

1) I have read/seen discussion about a Warrior's Knife and also about an
   an Assassin's Knife (or blade).
   I went back to my TKD and found Daqtagh for "Warrior's Knife" and taj
   for "knife".  Looking further, I did not find a single word listed
   for "warrior" (could be a personal problem, I'm using my electronic
   database TKD & could have missed typing it in.) From most things I've
   seen tlhIngan means/is used for both "Klingon" and "Klingon Warrior".
   Is that correct?
   Would a word for warrior alone be ghobwI' <One who wages war>?

2) I have also seen discussion of an Assassin's Knife or an Assassin,
   but find no entry for either "Assassin's Knife" or "Assassin."
   Is there a specific word, or should it be translated something like:
   batlhbe' HoHwI'  <one who kills dishonorably>
   voQibmey HoHwI'  <one who kills from the shadows>
   voQibmey mupwI'  <one who strikes from the shadows>
      -or-
   QibghobwI'       <shadow warrior, i.e., ninja>
   QibHoHwI'        <shadow killer>

3) The Warrior's Knife has been referred to as an "Honor Blade" on DS9.
   Is there a word for "blade"?

4) On a couple of shows of ST:TNG a pair of statues of warriors on
   Qo'noS were shown that were holding/carrying sword-like objects that
   were not betlh.  There is a word 'etlh for sword. Is there a
   discription of the non-betlh swords anywhere?

yu'wI' Y'jImbo

Back to archive top level