tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 14 21:01:21 1997

RE: Must

jatlh HomDoq:

> I'm probably (heavily) influenced by my mother tongue :),
> which is German: the literal translation of "I must eat" into German
> lacks 'something' (out of context neural backfire: say 'friend' and enter),
> I'd have to say "I have to eat something" ("Ich muss was essen" for those
> who need to know :); so I don't see "I need food" too far from "I need to
> eat"

Concerning the Klingon no-object prefixes, as per TKD pp.33-34:

This set of prefixes is also used when an object is possible, but unknown or
vague.  [...] {maSop} "we eat" can be used to indicate a general act of
eating, but not if a specific food is mentioned.

If I understand your German example correctly, the object "something" is
unknown or vague.  Thus, {maSopnIS} means "We need to eat something."  There
really is no difference between this and "We need to eat" in English, except
for the explicit mentioning of "something."  The word adds nothing; when you
eat, you *must* eat something (hee hee!).

> I didn't say {-nIS} _emphasizes_ anything, I said it _modifies_ the whole
> verb _including_ the prefix; as I quoted before, Type 2 verb suffixes
> describe the choice or predisposition _of_the_subject_ to act.
> _both_ subject _and_ action are described by them
> (btw, by saying it modifies the prefix, I obviously extend this
> modifying business to the _object_ as well, if one is specified)

I'm not sure how this exactly helps things.  Actually, I don't see suffixes
modifying the prefixes.  I see the prefixes as being the final step to
creating a verb.  Think of the verb {quv}.  {jIquv}, {bIquv}, etc.  Now think
of the verb {quvmoH}.  I don't think of this as "[I cause you] to be honored."
 I think of this as "I [cause to be honored] you."  Or the verb {Sop}.  I
don't think of {jISopnIS} as "[I] need [to eat]," I think of it as "I [need to
eat]."  Is this making sense?

jISopnIS.
SopnIS 'Iv?
jISopnIS jIH.

jI[SopnIS], not [jISop]nIS.

And with an object:

Soj vI[SopnIS], not [Soj vISop]nIS.

I guess if you can imagine a verb which meant "need to eat," you'd stick it in
the brackets.  Okay, I'm rambling now . . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level