tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 12 17:29:28 1997

Re: what is the klingon word ?

[email protected]:
>I would like to know the klingon version of these:

If you don't mind my asking...whatever for?

>"you are born in a barn"

There's no simple Klingon word for barn, but I might use {Du' qach}
"farm's building" if the context were appropriate.

{Du' qachDaq bIbogh} "You are born in a farm's building."

>"squirrel nut zippers"

I have no idea what this means.  Is it a name?  Names don't translate well.
There's no native Klingon word for squirrel; it's not a Klingon animal.  We
also don't know how to translate "zipper".  Assuming "nut" means the food,
and not a crazy person, its translation is {naHlet}.

>"behave yourself"

If you mean "behave well" or "be nice", I'd suggest rephrasing this.

{batlh yIvang} "act honorably."

>thank you!

I'm very curious as to why you picked these particular phrases to ask about.

You also sent a note with the following cryptic line:
 <A HREF="aol://2719:2-2-klingons">klingons</A>
Is it supposed to mean something?  I've never heard of the aol: protocol,
and 2719:2-2-klingons certainly isn't a DNS address in the normal sense.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level