tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 16:34:15 1997

RE: KLBC: lI lut

jatlh cor re'noH:

> A few days ago, I finished translating <lI lut> and I think I did a pretty
> good job.

maj!  What is {lI}?  Is it a name?  Is it a word I don't remember?  If it's a
name, I recommend you mark it as such.

<lI lut> wIlaD wIneH!

> It was my first time to translate anything, so at the bottom of
> the page, I tried to write  "my first translation" in tlhIngan-Hol.  This is
> what I came up with.
>
> vImugh wa'DIch

"My first translation" is a noun phrase in English, and you have tried to use
a verb to say it in Klingon.  This is not bad, but you then continued to think
of it as a noun phrase.  You must recast the sentence until it is in a form
Klingon uses.

Why not state, in a complete sentence, what you mean?

wa'logh lut vImughta'.
I have translated a story once.

Don't try to use a verb as a noun, even if it's got a verb prefix on it.
Don't add {wa'DIch} after anything but a noun.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level