tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 05 11:41:40 1997

Re: 'ejyo' 'ampaS vIta'ta'?

jang SI'IluD
> ghItlh SuSvaj
> >>>
> In order to translate Worf's sentence:
>           "I am a starfleet academy graduate.  I know many things."
> The best I could come up with was:
>                *'ejyo' 'ampaS vIta'ta'.  ngoDmey law' vISov.*
> Literally: "I have accomplished Starfleet academy.  I know many things."
> But since "Starfleet Academy" is not a specific task, I don't really like
> using *ta'*.  Any better ideas?
> <<<
>
> How about this:
>
> 'ejyo' 'ampaSvaD vIghojta'. ngoDmey law' vISov.
>
> The idea here is that you have completed the learning from the academy.

I can't quite agree with that.  Saying *'ejyo' 'ampaSvaD* implies that the
learning was done for Starfleet academy.  That is, on behalf of the
academy, rather than learning from the academy.  The sentence also lacks
the sense of completion that "graduation" indicates.

SuSvaj
> SI'IluD
> wa'Hu' jIboghbe'

Back to archive top level