tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 02 15:27:21 1997

RE: mu- (was Re: yIHmey)

jatlh ~mark:
> >:{mujang charghwI'}.

> Seems okay to me too, but there is no small amount of stylistic debate over
> it.  peHruS apparently doesn't like it in this usage.  Neither, I believe,
> do charghwI' and SuStel.  I'm not so down on it.
>
> Actually, I'm not sure this falls into the categories I'm thinking of for
> Sustel's and charghwI''s opinions.  But I can certainly see preferring the
> -vaD method.

No, this is a bit different.  As a verb of saying, I would not be at all
surprised to learn that the object for {jang} is properly the person being
spoken to.  It is similar to {ja'} in TKD.  Things like {qaja'pu'} could
either indicate that the object of {ja'} is the person being spoken to, or it
could mean that Okrand was using what I call "indirect object shortening"
(what's the correct term for this?) again.  The definition of {ja'} in TKD
doesn't help: "tell" could mean either the person being told or the thing
being told to someone, and "report" seems to restrict it to the thing being
told to someone.  But Okrand's examples are all showing the object of the verb
as the person being spoken to.  Ugh!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian