tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 01 18:56:04 1997

RE: yIHmey

mujang ghunchu'wI' (hee hee!):

> >Actually, if {jang} counts as a verb of saying, and if it acts like {ja'},
> >then {mujang charghwI'} may very well be just as correct as {jIHvaD jang
> >charghwI'}.  Certainly the latter works: "charghwI' answers, I am the
> >beneficiary of this action."
>
> I see a subtle difference between them.  {jIHvaD jang ghaH} might mean
> he answered instead of you.  The literal English translation bears out
> this interpretation: "He answers for me."

Or, it is possible that this sort of sentence is a bit vague without context.
It might be interpreted in either of these ways.

I can see your interpretation in the Klingon, though I tend to avoid figuring
out {-vaD} from the English.  "For" is just too broad for that.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level