tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 31 19:47:02 1997

RE: KLBC: Practicing...

mujang mIqIraH:

> > > There's not really a reason, but to me "a couple"
> > > seems a little more slang and informal that "a few."
> >
> > Oh?  How so?
>
> I'm really not sure.  Maybe its just me, but I think of them as being
> very *subtly* different.

I don't think the subtlety is significant.

> For example, I cannot see a government
> official at a press conference and responding to a question (Let's just
> say, "When will the new policy take effect?") with something like, "In a
> couple of days."  However, I can see the government official saying "In
> a few days."  I might just be manufacturing this distinction in my own
> head (probably); do you see what I'm saying?

I tend to agree with you.  "A few" does seem more formal in such a situation.
Still, I suspect that Klingons wouldn't care.

> The point is really moot
> since there isn't a Klingon word for "couple" anyway!

Sure there is!  {cha'}!  (Remember, a "couple" is technically two.)

> > Really?  I'd say that "cook" is closer to the correct connotation than
"make"
> > is, and much better than "cause to take form."  Don't get hung up with the
> > English words; our purpose is to communicate accurately, not translate
> > word-for-word.
>
> I suppose it could be true... I guess I was just thinking that breaking
> the eggs (and hence adding them) is part of the initial "making'
> process, a process that's already completed by the time you sart cooking
> them.  After reading it a few more times, I agree that it would make
> more sense for the Klignon speaker if I used {vut}; cause to take form
> could mean so many things.

Also remember this: Klingons eat most of their food raw.  ("Grrr . . . I'll
try some of your burned replicated bird meat.")  Given that there even *is* a
word for "cook." and also given that "galley" is {vutpa'}, I suspect that
"cook" has a broad meaning here: the preparation of food.  I don't think it
refers to the heating or burning of food.

> bong DIvI' Hol vIjatlhpu' qajangpu'DI'.
> tlhInagn Hol vIqeqnIS, DIvI' Hol vIqeqnISbe'!
> DIvI' Hol vIjatlhlaHchu'.

jIQochbe'.  vaj yIjatlh!  yIqon!  batlh mu'qaDmey tIbach!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level