tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 30 17:44:18 1997

Re: Rules for LaserQuest

97245.5
ghItlh charghwI'
>"jIqetQo'" is just the right
meaning here, and for this reason.  The case is clearly someone making a
promise or determination: I will not run, by my own choosing.  That's why I
once translated "fast" (the noun, as in instance of not eating) as
"SopQo'ghach" (note that it's not a bare verb + ghach!), and not with
Sopbe': because fasting is *voluntarily* choosing not to eat.<

Another good example of that sort of thing is from Hamlet, Act III Scene I:
celibate - ngaghQo'wI'.  I also once translated "anarchist" as "qumQo'wI'," but
that's a pretty far leap, and it could also mean a person who just doesn't want
to go into politics.  --qoror

Back to archive top level