tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 29 08:10:57 1997

RE: Klingon Society and Language

On Thursday, March 27, 1997 10:31 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> As part of a novel, I want to be able to appropriate defind the DAX/WORK
> relationship? What is the Klingon word for their relationship and it's
> morphology? I know the Betazoids use "Imzadi".

Dax likes to work, huh?  :)

On Deep Space Nine, Worf uses the word {parmaq}.  Okrand has sanctioned the
use of this word on MSN, though we're not sure of its exact meaning.  It seems
to be a noun, though we're not certain.

> Also, is there a way to translate Terran names into Klingon? (Such as
`Chuck'
> or 'Dave')

See the FAQ: http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm
Go to sections 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3.

> And what is the proper way to say "I am (name), son of (father's name)."
> (i.e. "I am Worf, son of Mogh").

Apposition seems to be allowed in Klingon, so one need merely say

mogh puqloD wo'rIv
Mogh's son, Worf.

--
SuStel