tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 29 08:06:53 1997

RE: KLBC: Rules for LaserQuest

On Friday, March 28, 1997 3:13 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Carey
and/or Bryce Fields wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Every Wednesday for the past four or five months, by friend and I have been
> playing LaserQuest (for those of you who don't know, it's one of those
> "laser tag" type games).  Before they will let you play, players are
> required to recite the rules (read "disclaimers") of the game.  We thought
> it would be fun to translate these rules into tlhIngan Hol, so they are
> submitted for any possible corrections.  I provide an English rules with
> the thlIngan Hol version.  Do you think the tlhIngan Hol versions come
> close to the spirit of the English ones?

If they are brief and to the point, they will have a good Klingon spirit.  If
they are meandering and indirect, they will sure sound English.  :)

> jIqetbe'.
>   (I will not run.)

maj.

> jItosbe' qoj jISupbe'.
>   (I will not climb or jump.)

maj!  This won't matter when you say it, but remember to capitalize the {S}.

> jIba'be, jItorbe', qoj yavDaq vIQotbe'.
>   (I won't sit, kneel, or lie down.)

{yavDaq} is not the object of {Qot}.  It indicates where the action happens,
or goes to.  Since it's not the object, you still use the {jI-} prefix.

 . . . qoj yavDaq jIQotbe'.

> ray'wij vISo'be'.
>    (I won't cover any of my targets.)

maj!  Remember to capitalize {I}.

> vay' vIHotbe'.
>    (I will not touch another player.)

maj!  Obviously, the context is quite clear that "someone else" means "another
player."  You don't NEED to say {QujwI'}.

> mu'QaDmey vIjatlhbe'.
>    (I will not use any offensive language.)
>    (NOTE:  is "mu'QaD" considered a verb or a noun?  I used it as a noun
> here.  I assumed from the way it was used in the word for "curse warfare",
> that it was one.)

The word is {mu'qaD}, and it is a noun.  "Word-challenge."

> Also, I'm wanting to know if anyone knows the literal translation of the
> word "banzai" (my nickname).  I want to translate it into tlhIngan Hol.  I
> have heard that it means "may we live for 10,000 years" or "may we live
> forever", but I do not know how reliable my sources are.  Anyone?

I never heard it.  How about {buqaru}?  {{:-D  (That's a joke . . .)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level