tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 27 17:17:00 1997

RE: KLBC Clipped vs not

jatlh HomDoq:

> SuStel said long ago :)
> > things that usually get clipped are:
> >
> > all verb prefixes
> > all grammatically nonessential verb suffixes
> > pronouns
> >
> I don't think pronouns are ever "clipped"; they can be left out
> if they are not functioning as verbs, but that is not clipping.

Quite correct.

> It doesn't make sense to use imperative with pronouns-as-verbs,
> so where is the evidence for clipping of pronouns?

Well, clipping doesn't only happen when giving commands.  For example (from
canon, I believe), {So'wI' chu'ta'} "cloaking device engaged."

> would you accept {Ha'DIbaH targh'e'} as clipped Klingon?

If it were simply {Ha'DIbaH targh}, I might.  No, I don't think we've ever
seen this sort of clipping in canon, but I don't consider it much of a
stretch.

Okay, I'm not trying to say "clipping *is* this," or "clipping *is* that."
I'm just trying to come up with some ideas of exactly how to explain it
without quoting all of the TKD section on it.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level