tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 21 20:38:40 1997

Re: some tidbits qororvo'

ja' 'Iwvan:
>> ... Specifically, you can't just "fear" in a vacuum: you have
>> to be afraid to do something in particular.
>
>Not necessarily.  You can be afraid of doing something (which is what
>{-vIp} is for), or you can be afraid of someone else doing something
>(which is when the full verbs come handy).

I'm not at all comfortable with the translation "afraid of" for
the suffix {-vIp}.  It's supposed to be "afraid to", right?  It
might be a trivial point, but "afraid of doing" uses phrasing
that doesn't really match the way tlhIngan Hol says things.

>> [...] (it would be even more interesting, and still quite believable
>> in a language, for there to be no verb Haj: if *all* fear was fear of
>> doing something.)
>
>Ah, but it isn't.  Even fear of being killed can't be expressed in such
>a way, since Klingon has no passive.

It's been a while since this was posted, but when I saw it I
immediately thought {vIHoHlu' 'e' vISIQvIp}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level