tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 21 15:45:18 1997

Re: KLBC: obsterician

David Trimboli wrote:

> No, there's no word for obsterician (that we know of).  Don't look for a quick
> word; if you've got a context, say it's a doctor {Qel} and explain it once,
> then just call him or her {Qel} from then on.  That's the easiest way.  It's
> probably the best.
>
> At first I was inventing something like {boghlI'ghach Qel}, but then I
> realized that an obsterician is also {boghta'ghach Qel} and {boghrupghach
> Qel}.  But that's okay; I wouldn't have used this phrase anyway, because it's
> really a hindsight idea.

Perhaps {be'pu' yatlh Qel}?  Surely an obstetrician (you left out that
second "t", BTW) is a doctor of pregnant women.  (One could simplify
even further, since most obstetricians are also gynecologists, and just
call OB/GYNs {be'pu' Qelmey}.  In context, no one would have a problem.