tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 19 21:43:17 1997

RE: KLBC: Old notes

On Wednesday, March 19, 1997 5:59 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
Riktrman wrote:

> Greetings, I'm new to the empire and I'm just getting back into tlhingan
> hol.

Greetings and welcome!

> Here's a few selections I've recently uncovered from old notes.
>
> Quch Habbogh tu'laHchu' law 'ej SoH bItu'laHchu' law
>
> wa' jaghDuj puSlu'ta'bogh lo'laH law' cha' jaghDuj So'law'ta'bogh lo'laH
> puS
>
> These were originally created years ago and I'm just now reviewing them
> and thus assessing my own progress. Comments?

Well, I am very unsure of what you were trying to say.  Until you feel more
sure of yourself, please include the English text of what you mean.

My first advice is to give TKD a full re-read.  The most important thing to
remember: sentence order is Obj - Verb - Subj.  This also applies to clauses
like relative clauses, where you've got {-bogh} on a verb, and this verb will
have a head noun.  Above, you say {Quch Habbogh}, but you probably mean
"forehead which is smooth," which would be {Habbogh Quch}.  {Quch} is the
subject of the phrase, and so comes last.  However, TKD 4.4 tells us that such
stative verbs (be <something>) can modify a noun adjectivally, by coming after
it, so this could also be {Quch Hab} "smooth forehead."

I don't know what you mean by having *{law} there.  You probably mean {law'},
but I don't see exactly how you're using it.  It's a verb just like any other,
and must be used as one.

The second one is obviously a {law'/puS} sentence, and you're saying something
about some kind of enemy ship being more valuable than another.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what those relative clauses are trying to say.

Why don't you send along these sentences again, this time with the English.
Then, I can see what you meant.  Better yet, read over TKD, and then try to
redo them.

Qapla'!

--
SuStel