tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 17 07:19:56 1997

Re: simple words

ghItlh qoror:

>  But the problem is that I can't remember many simple words.  Oh,
> some I can remember, like HoH and Hegh and qIp and loD and be' and QaQ and nom
> and a lot of others, but it's still the vast minority of the dictionary.
> Translating jatmey and stuff on the mailing list helps a bit, but I still don't
> know many words.  Does anyone have a way of remembering them that I could use?
> Help!

Hi!
This is exactly my problem, and my one and only way to get Klingon
vocab into my head is mnemonics. There was quite a bit about that in
the list a few weeks ago (although I think the discussion was more
about whether Okrand deliberately used similar sounding words).
Sometimes the connection to the actual word is quite far-fetched.
One of my favourites is "to *preserve* my sanity I must eat
*choq*olate". Or "when a woman marries she doesn^t say *nay*".
Or "a torpedo doesn^t go *peng* (=german for bang)". Or "when things
collide they go *paw^*".
more obvious ones are
Dul - to be boring (dull)
mul - to be stubborn (mule)
bIr - to be cold (beer)
mol - grave, to bury (mole)

Besides, something that works really well for me is using flashcards.
For me this is the best way of learning new words or going over those
I^ve learned already. (Except actually using them, that is...)

Hope that helps!

Irmi
Irmgard Pohrer, TUB Muenchen

+ email: [email protected]