tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 16 21:07:20 1997

RE: KLBC: Party phrases..

jatlh QI'HoS:

> A couple of phrases I may find usefull at parties - did I get these
> correct?
>
> bItlhutlh 'e' DaneH'a'
> do you want a drink

When you use {neH}, you never use {'e'}.  It's constructed exactly like any
other sentence-as-object, it just doesn't use {neH}.  See TKD 6.2.5.

bItlhutlh DaneH'a'?

> bItlhutlh 'e' DaneHchugh HItlha'
> Follow me if you want a drink

Same problem.

bItlhutlh DaneHchugh HItlha'.

You're really going to say these at a party?

> I seem to have a problem in that nearly everything I try and write
> comes out with the 'e' pronoun in it - I get the feeling I'm missing
> something and overusing it.

Well, they're all sentence-as-object sentences, but {neH} is a special case.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level