tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 13 16:19:55 1997

RE: KLBC: De'wI' mu'mey

jatlh ter'eS:

> >Hmm, how do you say LAN and WAN in Klingon.  ;)
> >

> I've been using the following:
>
> /De'wI'tay/  network
> /De'wI'tay Sum/  LAN
> /De'wI'tay Hop/  WAN

As noun compounds, these are incorrect.  {tay} means "ceremony, rite" when it
is a noun, so these literally means "computer-ceremony," "near
computer-ceremony," and "far computer-ceremony."

There is one noun which I know of which *appears* to be a compound of a noun
and the *verb* which you're looking for, {tay'} "be together."  That noun is
{Hovtay'} "star system."  (There may be others.)  However, we are not allowed
to create compounds using verbs, or even {chuvmey}.  Only nouns.

If you were to stick with your ideas above, you'd have to call them {De'wI'
tay'} "computers which are together," {Sumbogh De'wI' tay'} or {tay'bogh
De'wI' Sum} "near computers which are together," and {Hopbogh De'wI' tay'} or
{tay'bogh De'wI" Hop} "far computers which are together."  I think you'll
agree that these don't seem to accurately describe networks.

> Now, how you you say "client/server"?

There's been talk about this before, and I remember one viewpoint stressing
that Klingons probably wouldn't have such a relationship; they'd say something
more like "master/slave."  Who knows?  I doubt that Klingons ever had Mac/PC
wars either.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian