tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 06 18:01:18 1997

RE: KLBC: bomHom vIchenmoH 'e' vInIDta'

jatlh QI'HoS:

> bomHom vIchenmoH 'e' vInIDta'

There's a rule in TKD that says you cannot put an aspect suffix on the second
verb of a sentence-as-object sentence.  This has to be {bomHom vIchenmoHta'
'e' vInID}.  Yes, it looks wrong, but it's not.

>     =20

Better shorten your columns setting!

>      tlhIngan maH!!
>      we are klingon!

maj.

>      mayInmoH machargh
>      we conquer because we live

{-moH} is "cause," {-mo'} is "because."

mayInmo' machargh

>      macharghmoH mayIn
>      we live because we conquer

macharghmo' mayIn

For both of these, you might want to help make the point by including the
{-taH} suffix.

mayIntaHmo' macharghtaH.
macharghtaHmo' mayIntaH.

>      not toy'wI'mey maH 'e' teHmoH tlhIngan vajpu' maH
>      because we are klingon warriors we will never be slaves.

You don't want the {teH} or the {'e'} construction here at all.  Let me start
at the beginning to show you what needs to be done.

The sentence can be broken up into two main parts: "Because we are Klingon
warriors," and "We will never be slaves."

The first part is based on the sentence "We are Klingon warriors."  {tlhIngan
vajpu' maH}.  Then add the "because" to the pronoun, which acts as the verb in
a "to be" construction.  {tlhIngan vajpu' maHmo'} "Because we are Klingon
warriors."

The second part is "We will never be slaves.  You're almost there already.
"Slave" is {toy'wI''a'} in TKD.  So, we get {not toy'wI''a' maH}.  The plural
suffixes are usually plural, so you don't need it.  The correct one would be
{-pu'}, though: {not toy'wI''a'pu' maH}.

Now, just put them together!

tlhIngan vajpu' maHmo' not toy'wI''a' maH.

>      tlhIngan maH!!
>      we are klingon!

>      Notes:
>      I was unsure whether to use moH or mo' as a verb suffix on
> mayInmoH=20
>      and macharghmoH.  I get these suffs mixed up a lot.

See above.

>     =20
>      I deliberatley used the -mey plural on toy'wI' to try and convey=20
>      distaste for the notion of being a slave. Is this reasonable??

Not really.  Everybody tries to do something like this when they start.  But
putting {-mey} on a being capable of using language isn't derogatory, it
indicates that the noun is plural and scattered all over the place.
{toy'wI'mey} means "servants all over the place."

Even those ideas which ARE derogatory don't seem like they would be used to
directly insult someone.  Like saying {SoSlIj} instead of {SoSlI'}.  It
doesn't sound insulting, it sounds like you don't know how to speak properly.
This is just my opinion, of course, but mangling the grammar seems a poor way
to get in a good insult.

>      I had trouble with the 'slaves' line - I tried it several ways
>      before I came up with the one you see above - for instance
>      tlhIngan vajpu' maHmoH toy'wI'mey maHbe'  (can you have DImaHbe'
> ??)

Ohhh, you almost had it!  Use {-mo'} instead of {-moH}, though!  No, {DImaH}
would mean that you have a plural object, but {toy'wI''a'} isn't the object.
Playing with pronouns can be tricky, but they definitely don't get verb
prefixes!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian