tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 05 03:22:51 1997

KLBC: Re: Hov veSmey

nuqneH!

tlhingan Hol jIjatlhbe' *yet*, *sorry*!

I have been lurking on this newsgroup for some weeks and find it
very interesting. Especially SuStel's excellent command of grammar
and ability to explain it is a great help. One of my hobbies is
learning languages and with Startrek being one of the others ...

I'm wondering about the compound nouns in *tlhingan Hol*. In German
(my 2nd language) there are many and new compound nouns are formed
all the time.

I'm refering to SuStel's answer Re: Hov veSmey Fri Feb 14 05:21 MET 1997

> {yav Duj} is an acceptable substitute for "land-speeder," I suppose,
> although it could be equally applicable to a car with wheels.

Exact translation of land-speeder aside:
in German one would form a new compound *yavDuj* to mean land-speeder.
Is such a usage permitted or even encouraged in *tlhingan Hol*?
(Following the lines of *jolpa'*)

Hm, I'm working off what seems to be a German translation of parts of TKD,
so perhaps I've got the next one wrong:
I'm refering to the sentence:
     He moves his hand when he speaks.
SuStel leads us to the translation:
     ghopDaj nechmoH loQ jatlhDI'.
(which is perfectly ok with me for the sentence given)
(btw, did I place *loQ* right?)

But I would rather expect something like "while"
instead of "when, as soon as":
     He moves his hand (a little) while he is speaking.
so I'd be inclined to use *-vIS*  instead of *-DI'* (and observe
that *-vIS* always goes with *-taH*):
     ghopDaj nechmoH (loQ) jatlhtaHvIS.

Anyway, my Mum claims my German is better than my English now,
so any correction of mistakes, be it in English or *tlhingan Hol*,
are welcome.

Hope I'll be writing in *tlhingan Hol* soon.

C U all!  Qapla'!

Dominic (SuSDuj)

Back to archive top level