tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 04 14:35:22 1997

RE: KLBC: jIQaHnIS

On Tuesday, March 04, 1997 1:26 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

>      If a tractor beam is a thing which captures ships, you could try to
say:
> "Fire the thing which captures ships!" Using the suffix, "-wI'" (thing which
> does that which one does) on the end of the term ship capturing device. This
> would most likely be stated as: "Duj HoDwI'chu'!" (which is more accuratly
> "activate the thing that captures ships!").

You missed a space before {chu'}, and "capture" is {jon}, not {HoD} (that's
"captain").

"Thing which captures ships" works, I suppose.  If the captain yelled {Duj
jonwI' yIchu'}, I think the context would tell me that we're talking about the
tractor beam, not the ship's engineer.

For clarity's sake, you might say {jonmeH HoSchem} "energy field for
capturing" or {jonmeH Surchem} "force field for capturing."  In my story in
{jatmey} I used {Dujmaj jontaHbogh Surchem'e'} for "force field which captures
our ship."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian