tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 15:51:21 1997

RE: KLBC: lut Saj

On Monday, March 03, 1997 10:54 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> wa'Hu', ghung QibwamwI'*
> Yesterday, Shadowhunter* was hungry.

Even though it's a name, you should always capitalize your {I}s.  It may not
seem important, but once you get good at reading Klingon, it becomes very hard
to follow text with lower-case {I}s.

> SISpu'mo' yav DungDaq bIH gharghmey'e'.
> Because it had rained, serpent worms were above ground.

Well, I doubt you've got serpent worms in your garden, but I know what you
mean . . .

> jav gharghmey nom jon QibwamwI'.
> Shadowhunter quickly captured six serpent worms.

If you want to use the adverbial immediately before the verb as you have here,
you must use the noun suffix {-'e'} on the object noun.  See TKD Addendum 6.7.

jav gharghmey'e' nom jon *QIbwamwI'*.

The more usual way to write this is

nom jav gharghmey jon *QIbwImwI'*.

> Sopchu'.
> He ate them all up.

maj!  Excellent use of {-chu'}!

> *QibwamwI' 'oH pong'e' SajwIj.
> *Shadowhunter is my pet's name.

To do a possessive, the possessor comes first, and the possessed comes second.
 {SajwIj pong} "my pet's name."

*QIbwamwI'* 'oH SajwIj pong'e'.

majQa'!  batlh maHvaD lut Daja'!

--