tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 10:15:36 1997

RE: Hol vIlo' (was Re: Holna' wIlo'bejtaH)

jatlh voqHa'wI':

> Alan Anderson wrote:
> >> The suffering I speak of comes when someone proclaims
> >> that, for example, *{maj ram} is grammatically correct usage, or that
>
> Then, Joel Peter Anderson wrote:
> > "maj ram"  isn't 'grammatical', it is just common usage.  Like "good
> > night" (What does that mean?).]
>
> Wait a second, it does depend how you use it.  You could be saying that "it
is
> a good night", in which case it would be perfectly correct, qar'a'?

No.  {maj} is not a verb, it is an exclamation.  It expresses satisfaction,
nothing more.

To literally say that the night is good, you'd say

QaQ ram
The night is good.

whatever you meant by that.  But this isn't "goodnight" by a long shot.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level