tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 27 06:16:03 1997

RE: vItIch chISHey Doch

[email protected] on behalf of Norman Thomas wrote:

>  Well, no, that wasn't what I meant it to mean. I used naS to mean
> something else that a pie would be expected to be like tangy, tasty or
> even delicious. When a word doesn't exist in a language I think you have
> to find a substitute that conveys the general meaning : I suspect that
> the word naS doesn't have such a hard meaning in klingon : a vicious
> klingon might be equivalent to an average human.

No, if the word is defined as "vicious," then that's what it means.  If it
meant less to Klingons, it would have been defined as something less.

We don't have a word for "delicious."  You can talk about "enjoying" {tIv} a
particular food, or you can talk about that food "pleasing" {belmoH} you.
Come up with some other way to say it, rather than changing the definitions of
words.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian