tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 25 18:57:45 1997

RE: KLBC: Family Line

jatlh Kontay:
> At 11:46 PM 6/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >David Trimboli wrote:
> >>
> >> We can use a bit of apposition here:
> >>
> >> *qotang* puqloD *qontay* jIH.
>
> I was looking through "The Klingon Way" tonight and several of the phrases
> supported this structure. Even the song in Star Trek: Klingon supported it.
> "Qoy qeylIS puqloD" Which means "Listen son(s) of Kahless". Now according
> to this phrase if I said "qeylIS puqloD *qontay* jIH" I would be saying "I
> am kontay, Kahless's son" So this construction appears to me to be pretty
> much canon.

Well, no, {Qoy qeylIS puqloD} is an example of direct address.  Apposition is
used in SkyBox S26:

DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa'
be'etor je.
The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly seeking a
higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon High Council.

The relevant portion is {DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je} "the sisters of
[the house of] Duras."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian