tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 13:12:54 1997

Re: Trainning the begginers

William Cody agreeing with fonseca wrote:

& I agree with this idea. I am a beginner, and it is more fun and
& challenging to translate a story, rather than someone's letters. If
& the "quppu'" would do this, I know I would appreciate this. Qapla'!!

fonseca is right. Many of the postings here are riddled with in-jokes
and puns and must be quite impenetrable to beginners.

I often write stories here.  Lately I have tried to keep my grammar
simple, so beginners can read it.  My stories do contain grammatical
errors and misremembered words, and sometimes to achieve the effect I
want, I deliberately do something that SuStel would tag "wrong" in a
KBLC. So please don't read my stories as ideal models, but please do
read them. I'm having trouble finding them, but here are a couple of
old ones:.

Qov's stories

"HIchDal" (be sure to read this one in Klingon, and not simply
translate, or you won't get the joke.)
http://www.kli.org/cgi-bin/mfs/1996/Dec96/1002.html

"Quch Hab" (includes a stilted translation)
http://www.kli.org/cgi-bin/mfs/1996/Dec96/1005.html

Avoid reading my: "taH Qu'" (parts 1 through 3) unless you're very
brave and confident you won't be corrupted by bad grammar.  It's from
May 1996, shortly after I delurked..  This was my first Klingon story
and it contains a lot of errors and bad usage.  It's also too long
for comfortable digestion.

Stories by other people
te'reS: "ropyaHDaq"
http://www.kli.org/cgi-bin/mfs/1996/Jan96/0471.html

Deborah Kay: Deborah calls it simply "lut." In multiple parts, gets
more complex as it goes along as Deborah learns the language.  I
recommend reading the parts of the story and SuStel's follow-ups,
especially to the earlier parts, which have more errors, so you can
learn along with Deborah.
http://www.kli.org/cgi-bin/mfs/1996/Nov96/0928.html, 1030.html,
http://www.kli.org/cgi-bin/mfs/1996/Dec96/0235.html, 0481.html,
0620.html, 0795.html, 0928.html, 1008.html, 1032.html, 1063.html, and
if you get that far you'll be willing to search the list for the rest
on your own.

Browsing the back issues at the website--start with
www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol--is quite entertaining.  You can find more
stories, snicker at the KLBCs of some of the people who are
now po'wI'pu', and watch our knowledge of the language develop.

And from now on I'm going to put "KLBC story" in the subject
line of stories I think beginners could read.

-Qov

Back to archive top level