tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 00:12:55 1997

Re: MUSH

In a message dated 97-06-20 22:16:15 EDT, SuStel writes:

<< > De'wI' po'wI' jIHbe'
 > chay' MUSH vIlo' 'e' vISovbe'

 I'll pretend I didn't see this as a question as object, and I'll imagine I
 just saw {chay' MUSH vIlo'}.

You appear to be saying that tlhIngan Hol question words may be used ONLY to
ASK a question.  If you are correct, this is the first of 28 languages
(admittedly the other 27 are Terran) I have studied (I'm nowhere near fluent
in most of them) in which question words may not be used subordinately.

Let's use English:

Why are you going?   I don't why you are going.
What are you cooking?  I see what you are cooking.
How do you store tribbles?  The man knows how you store tribbles.

tlhIngan Hol is not Terran.  It is not like anything Terran.  Still, how can
we presuppose that we cannot use question words this way?  I await your
debate.

peHruS

Back to archive top level