tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 15:54:24 1997

RE: Klingon: "What do you want?"

[email protected] on behalf of Adam Ophir Shapira wrote:

> I have found out the klingon term for "What do you want?", and
> I know more or less how to spell it. However, I have one question.
>
> Is it written as one word ("nuqneH?") or two words ("nuq neH?")?

The word {nuqneH} *appears* to be a fossilized special formation.  That is, it
may originally have come from {nuq neH} or {nuq DaneH}, but over time it
became a contracted expression with a meaning all of its own.  It is (now) one
word.

For two words, the sentence would be

nuq DaneH?
You want what?
What do you want?

If you're using Clipped Klingon, it'll end up as

nuq neH?

Perhaps {nuqneH} grew out of the Clipped version.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level