tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 22 20:18:37 1997

RE: KLBC: nuqneH and jatlh

[email protected] on behalf of Neal Schermerhorn wrote:

> In the case you responded to, it was misused. A person approached by someone

> would say nuqneH - a person requesting a conversation would likely say
> qajatlh, I speak with you.

In fact, we're not so sure that this means "I speak with you."  Since TKD has
"speak" and not "speak with" in its definition of {jatlh}, I'd say this should
be

SoHvaD jIjatlh
I speak to you.

This is not a *proven* case, but in canon we've only ever seen a language
{Hol} be the object of the verb {jatlh}.  {qajatlh} would mean that I speak
you, a language.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian