tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 20 16:07:52 1997

Re : Re: I need any Klingon Dictionary File

I do agree that broadcasting some Klingon dictionary file raises a copyright
problem. Anyway, I downloaded several ones *for free*, they all contain TKD
lexicon plus addendum plus KLI's new words list. As soon as you don't sell
them,
it's (legally) all right.
However, nothing prevents you to make your own dictionary (I built mine
within
a few weekends) provided you don't sell it. It is of paramount (pun intended)
importance that your file remains "for private use, or for a private and
limited
circle of users" -- these are the words of French law. Of course, "limited"
might
be interpreted as "finite" and 100,000,000,000,000 people is still a limited
number.
We are not here to discuss laws (unless we do it in tlhingan Hol, but I have
some difficulties understanding their jargon even in French).
TKD is *not* expensive. The only thing we can regret is that it is not
available
in computer format.
If KLI doesn't makes available such a file, they've got good reasons (and
it's not a
matter of money, at least on KLI's side).
Sorry for violating the rule that whatever is not written in Klingon here is
supposed
to be about tlhingan Hol. I wanted to underline that this is not an arbitrary
decision from KLI's managers (this word is inappropriate, but my English is a
bit
limited). If you adhere to KLI's mailing list, you accept the rules. Until
you are
fluent enough to become a Grammarian.

Another point : I have no problem with e-mails in Spanish. But MO himself
says
that English has been adopted as a Lingua Franca throughout the universe.
When you go to a scientific meeting, all lectures are made in English. But
you
would hardly recognize Shakespeare's language. It is a kind of pidgin with
over-simplified phonetics, but everyone can understand it (I remember a
Canadian scientist from Creole origin, speaking English with a mix between
French Creole and Quebec accent -- and it was a congress in Vienna (Austria)
so you can imagine the delight when he was speaking German...)

-- Qapla' -- HdW

Back to archive top level