tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 15 08:26:47 1997

RE: KLBC: imperatives

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:

> May a verb in imperative have a subject?

The answer to this question is yes.  An imperative may have {SoH} or {tlhIH}
as the subject.

> e.g., to say "Worf, close this door", which one is the best way :
> {lojmItvam yISoQmoH wo'rIv} with {wo'rIv} as a subject, or
> {wo'rIv, lojmItvam yISoQmoH} with a "vocative"?

In the first sentence, {wo'rIv} is not the subject.  The subject is {SoH}.  In
both of these sentences, {wo'rIv} is used in direct address.  See TKD section
5.6

> How should I express imperative in the third person? "let him go in" :
> { 'el ghaH vIneH} ?

You can use the verb {chaw'} "permit."

'el ghaH 'e' yIchaw'.
Let him go in.