tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 18:15:43 1997

RE: KLBC: HIlaD! (Lurker coming to light)

[email protected] on behalf of Nicholas Gurley wrote:

> (The subject was supposed to read "read me!" I couldn't think of a better
> standard greeting of a letter, and because tlhIngan is supposed to be
> abrupt and to the point...)

Excellent!  You've got a firm grasp on the Klingon psyche!

> naDev jIHtaH 'ej tlhIngan vIghoj vIneH. mu'ghom tlhIngan vISuqta' 'ej 'oH
> vIHaDta'.HIghojmoHneS!
> (I am here and I want to learn Klingon. I acquired the Klingon Dictionary
> and studied it. Do me the honor of teaching me!)

majQa'!!!!!

The *only* problem I could detect with any of this is the noun {tlhIngan}
following the word {mu'ghom}.  {tlhIngan} is only a noun, not a verb.  If you
want to say "Klingon language," you say {tlhIngan Hol}, not {Hol tlhIngan}.
Also, it's not going to be just {tlhIngan mu'ghom}, it's got to be {tlhIngan
Hol mu'ghom}.  In Klingon, the word for any race, including {tlhIngan}, is
never used as the name of a language by itself.  It must always be followed by
{Hol}.  You don't speak {tlhIngan}, you speak {tlhIngan Hol}.

> I'm hoping that I got that sentence right. I hav a question, though... As
> in TKD, I tried the construction "...and Klingon I learn it I want it." (-
> first sentence) even though it feels awkward. Is that definatly the Klingon
> structure?

You got it exactly right.

DaH mu'meywIj tIlaD.
HIjang.
qatlh tlhIngan Hol DaHaDchoH?
"Star Trek" DaparHa'mo' DaHaDchoH?
Holmey lu'oghlu'pu'bogh Daghoj 'e' DatIv'a'?
Qo'noSDaq bIghIQ 'e' Danab'a'?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian