tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 17:24:55 1997

KLBC: nominalizing a verb with object

* and now, trying some tlhIngan Hol! (let the Gods be with me, and the (be
him
honored) BG too) :-) (an emoticon I understand to mean {mon}).
{tujangpu'mo'  pabpo'pu'  jIbelqu'} {qar'a'}

As you can see, I sign Herrscher der Welt on the KLI e-mail list. Of course,
it is
a nickname, meaning (for those who don't understand German) "Master of the
World"). This would be a nice Klingon name, I think (if it isn't already
used, there
is some competition there). The nearest I could find is {'u'che'wI'} (the one
who
rules the universe - why be modest?). But I''ve got a problem : while
{'u'che'} is
clearly "to rule the universe" and <che'wI'> "the one who rules", is it
acceptable
to use {-wI'} to make a noun out of a verb which object is explicitly
expressed?
There is such an example in TKD : {HoS} power (n.), {ghaj} to possess (v.)
thus
{HoSghaj} (to possess power, to be powerful) which is a verb ; nothing seems
to prevent {HoSghajwI'} (the powerful one).

A similar problem arises when I want to tell about my job. I'm a
mathematician;
so {mI'QeD} for "mathematics" would be acceptable (although a more precise
equivalent would be "arithmetic", but this is not the point). I can't derive
some-
thing like {mI'QeDwI' jIH} since {mI'QeD} is a noun. Have I got to say
something
like {mI'QeD vIHaD}, which could mean I'm a student instead of a searcher?

Qapla' -- HdW

Back to archive top level