tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 09:33:24 1997

Re: jItlhIj

: >From: [email protected]
: >DIloraQ ghunchu'wI' jevaD jIchID 'ej jItlhIj
:
: *ugh* jIpar.  {*Dloraq*vaD *ghunchu'wI'vaD je jIchID} yIja'.
: "conjunction"Daq DIp moHaq yIlanQo'.  *Voragh*, vay' ja'pu''a' *Okrand*?
:
: ~mark

*ugh* indeed. AFAIK, noun suffixes can only be used on nouns and pronouns,
which are a subset of nouns. {je} is called a conjunction by Okrand, not a
noun. Klingon grammarians probably just class it among the {chuvmey}. (I'll
have to check TKD when I get home.) I searched the entire corpus, in fact,
and could find no instance of ANY conjunction taking any suffix at all. It
was an interesting idea, though.

Here's the relevant information on {-vaD} specifically (N.B. emphasis added):

-vaD  for, intended for, to (#5 noun suffix: syntactic marker)
["This suffix indicates that the NOUN TO WHICH IT IS ATTACHED is in some way
the beneficiary of the action, the person or thing for whom or for which the
activity occurs. {Qu'vaD lI' De'vam} `This information is useful for the
mission.' The noun {Qu'vaD} means `for the mission,' and in this sentence
{-vaD} indicates that the information is intended to be used somehow for the
mission under discussion." (TKD: 28f) "While the object of the verb is the
recipient of the action, the indirect object may be considered the
beneficiary. In a Klingon sentence, the indirect object precedes the object
and is suffixed with the Type 5 noun suffix {-vaD} `for, intended for.' THE
SUFFIX MAY BE ATTACHED TO EITHER A NOUN OR A PRONOUN." (TKD: 180)]
 - Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej One certainly finds it useful for the mission. TKD
 - yaSvaD taj nobpu' qama' The prisoner gave the officer the knife. TKD
 - chaHvaD Soj qem yaS The officer brings them food. TKD
 - SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem I'll bring you dinner number three. CK
 - tera'nganvaD romuluS HIq jabQo' They won't serve Romulan ale to Terrans. CK
 - 'avwI'vaD jatlh qama'... A prisoner says to the guard... PK
 - Qu'vaD lI' 'e' Datu'bej You will find it useful [for the mission]. ST3
 - vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu' So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a
gift. (Hallmark)
 - wa' Qu'vaD wa' DevwI' tu'lu' For one mission, there is one leader. TKW
 - tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH. He wears it proudly as a reminder
of his heritage. S20
 - roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply
"The Homeworld." S27

Your obediant servant,

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level