tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 07 20:03:45 1997

RE: uses of rIntaH

jatlh qoror:

> I just thought of a way to do "continuous perfect."  It
> might only have a narrowed usage, but it could be used for such things as
> "I've been patrolling the ship."
>
> 	"Duj vIngIvtaH rIntaH."

That's clever, but I seriously doubt that Klingon would let you use an aspect
suffix of any kind and {rIntaH} at the same time.

> 	Here's another use of it: closing letters.  Much less radical, but for,
> for instance, when a string is completed, the conflict resolved.

Huh?  Why not, when you've finished a letter, you just simply stop writing?

> It could be
> sufficiently modified -- for instance, one of peHruS's string originations
> could
> be "rInbe'taH," and some other things like, perhaps, "rInlaw'taH" when it
> seems
> to be over.

The accepted construction is when you stick {rIntaH} after the verb.  There's
no other combination mentioned in TKD, and I suspect that this is a fossilized
form of some other, longer or more complex construction.  I just simply doubt
that this would be in the language.  Remember, {rIntaH} itself is irregular;
don't expect to stretch it too far.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian