tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 06 15:23:51 1997

Re: {mup} KLBC

~mark writes:
|Hmm.  This sounds not unlike the interpretation I use.  My thoughts
|focussed more on {mup} being direct contact and {qIp} using a tool, but the
|results seem much the same.

And finally I write:

Here's my (inevitable) list of citations to consider:

mup  impact, strike (v.)
 - pay' HIvDI' lo'wI' pagh mupDI' QIHchu' bIH
   [They (i.e. the side blades of a Daqtagh)] provide a damaging
   surprise attack or give a devastating backhand stroke. SP2

mupwI'  hammer (n.)
 - mupwI' yI'uchtaH. Keep holding the hammer! TKW

qIp  hit (with hand, fist, implement) (v.)
 - maqIpchuq we hit each other TKD
 - SuqIpchuq you (plural) hit each other TKD
 - qIpchuq they hit each other TKD
 - peqIpchuq hit each other! TKD
 - jIqIp'egh I hit myself. TKD
 - bIqIp'egh You hit yourself. TKD
 - qIp'egh He hits himself. TKD
 - nuqIpvIp They are afraid to hit us. TKD
 - qama' vIqIppu' neH I merely hit the prisoner. TKD
 - qIppu'bogh yaS the officer who hit him. TKD
 - yaS qIppu'bogh the officer whom he hit. TKD
 - qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh I see the officer who hit him. TKD
 - mulegh qIppu'bogh yaS The officer who hit him sees me. TKD
 - yaS qIppu'bogh vIlegh I see the officer whom he hit. TKD
 - mulegh yaS qIppu'bogh The officer whom he hit sees me. TKD
 - yaS qIppu' 'e' vIlegh I saw him hit the officers. TKD
 - qIpmeH Qatlh'a' Difficult to hit? ST5
 - qIp'egh nachDu'chaj tlhIngan SuvwI'pu' Klingon warriors are
    butting heads. CK
 - yIQeqQo' neH. DoS yIqIp Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW
 - tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

   [BTW, SuStel, here's another example of 'ej with imperatives.]

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level