tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 06 07:28:17 1997

Re: {mup} KLBC

peHruS writes:
>My feeling is that {mup} may be a glancing blow.  Until I saw TKW regarding
>hitting the target, I would have used {mup} for "impacting the target."  Now,
>I have seen that MO uses {qIp} here.  I'm not sure how to use {mup}.

Here's how *I* use them.

{mup} "impact, strike, run into, come into sudden contact with..."
There's not a lot of intent or volition implied.

{qIp} "hit, beat, bang on, slap, punch, spank..."
This is an intentional "attack" with a "weapon".

An object in motion encounters a second object resting in its path.
The moving object hits the stationary object.
{vIHbe'taHbogh Doch mup vIHtaHbogh Doch}

A gunner accurately fires a torpedo at a piece of space garbage.
The torpedo hits the target.
{DoS mup peng}

A metalsmith is forging a weapon by beating it with a hammer.
He uses the hammer to hit the metal.
{baS qIpmeH mupwI' lo'}

The captain is taunted by the tactical officer of an enemy vessel.
The gunner hits the target.
{DoS qIp matHa'}

A technician has disconnected the controls to the bathroom door.
The captain hits the door because it doesn't open.
{poSchoHbe'mo' lojmIt mup HoD} (he carelessly bumps his nose on it)
{poSchoHbe'mo' lojmIt qIp HoD} (he bangs on it with his fist)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level