tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 04 07:08:27 1997

Re: jajlo'

David Trimboli wrote:

> > Based on this example, it is clear (to me at least) that verbs of saying
> > do not seem to function in the way you describe.  They seem to always
> > take a direct quotation, though you could also translate it as "I told
> > you not to interrupt me," but that is SLIGHTLY inaccurate.
>
> Actually, this *is* how Okrand translates this very sentence.

Well, I know! :-) But then below he says, "This is literally..."  So the
reason I said it is slightly inaccurate is not because it is wrong, just
because it isn't the *literal* translation.  However, we all know that
literal isn't always best, so it really isn't important!

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level