tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 03 18:40:05 1997

Re: jajlo'

ghItlh mIqIraH -

>jatlh: speak (v) [as in "I speak Klignon," or "Do you speak Spanish?"]
jatlh: say (v) [no examples of {jatlh} used this way, but it is in the
Addendum]

>Marc Okrand clearly had a reason for putting this definition in, so I
would hazard to guess that this is a typical verb of saying, like
{ja'}.

bIjatlh 'e' yImev vIja' = I tell him, "Stop speaking!"

ja' = tell or report a sentence
jatlh = speak a language (t) or speak in general (int)
jatlh = say (?)

"Say" has another meaning in English - to recite or repeat. This is not
conveyed in Klingon yet (as far as I am aware).

HoDwI' vIHoHta'pa', QIt 'Ip vIjatlh
Before I killed my captain, I slowly said an oath.

I did not report or tell this - I said or uttered it. Seems to me that this
sense of jatlh is likely to be correct here.

>Until we get some canon, I'd avoid using this in any far-out
ways, though.

yInuchQo'! SuDnIS SuvwI'pu' - vIlughHa'vIpbe'!

Back to archive top level