tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 21:26:34 1997

Re: KLBC: jIlIH'eghqa'

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:37:16 -0700 (PDT) "Mark E. Shoulson"
<[email protected]> writes:

>>> Is this really valid?  using multiple time expressions set off by
commas.

>>There are no rules saying you can do this.  There are no rules saying
you
>>cannot do this.  Since {ben} is a noun, being quantified by numbers, I
don't
>>see why it shouldn't be possible.  Even something like {DaHjaj wa'leS
je
>>jISop} "I will eat today and tomorrow" should work.
>
>Maybe so, but I think his question is really pretty good.  {DaHjaj
wa'leS
>je jISop} may work, though it's still an... interesting construction.
But
>your original sentence is even more original, since there's a
"respectively" implied
>somewhere there.
>
>~mark

I really don't see a "respectively" in the original statement.  All I
meant to say is:

"My daughters are 11, 8, and 6 years old."

If I had said "My daughters, Monica, Sylvia, and Alicia and 11, 8, and 6
years old" there is an implied "respectively.  Maybe my English
monolingualism (is this a word?) is showing.

Back to archive top level