tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 25 13:50:05 1997

HoSDo' jay'!

Qujmeymo' reH <HoSDo'> qawbej qep'a' loSDIch jeSwI'pu'.

For those of you who were not present, the word {HoSDo'} figured
prominently in the games played at qep'a' loSDIch.  I don't think
anyone who was there will ever forget what it means.  With that
little bit of background out of the way...

pIj "sci.space.policy"-Daq lab ghom motlh.  ngach 'ej ja'chuq 'ej
ghoH.  rut DoghchoH jeSwI'pu' le'.  peqIm:

There's a core group of people who post to the sci.space.policy
newsgroup regularly.  Amid the debates, discussions, and arguments,
there is often some goodnatured silliness.  The following exchange
recently took place:

[email protected] (Dwayne Allen Day) wrote:
>Once again, for the uninitiated:
>I am the only ZR on Usenet.
>George is a Centauran.
>Henry is _probably_ an android.
>Jim Kingdon is obviously a fairly sophisticated, slightly-buggy AI
>program.
>Mr. Higgins is a being composed entirely of energy and light (or
>sub-atomic particles--the whole thing is indeterminate).

toH.  loQ jImaqqang: tlhIngan jIH!  'ach tlhIngan jIHbe'bej net Sov.
vaj jIjangbe'.  'ach...

At this point, I was tempted to jump in claiming to be a Klingon, but
I restrained myself.  After all, I recently decided that I am *not* a
Klingon!  But then...

[email protected] (Edward A Gedeon) wrote:
>  Don't forget Alan Anderson, our resident Klingon.  And don't be
>fooled by that "I'm only an interpreter," line of his...:-)

Sumqu' yaHwIj, "Ed" yaH.  tlhIngan Hol Dun vIjatlh 'e' Sovchu' ghaH.
Do'Ha' Holmaj HaDqangbe'.  ghaytan yajbe' "sci.space.policy" lulaDbogh
latlhpu', vaj jIjang.

Ed works at the same place I do, and is quite aware of my -- ahem --
idiosyncratic choice of a language to study.  Unfortunately, he's got
his own quirks and isn't willing to share my interest in Klingon. :-(
Most of the rest of the people who hang out in sci.space.policy
probably didn't understand his reference, so I answered.

[email protected] (Alan Anderson) wrote:
>wejpuH.  SuDoghtaHvIS Satlhejbe'ta' vIneH, 'ach jIlujnISba'.
>choSovchu', Ed.  jIjangbe' pe'vIl jIbuSmo' neH.
>chaq Qu'wIj vI'angnISlaw' DaH 'e' chopon.
>
>ngebbej tlhInganpu' Sov Hoch qar'a'?
>
>...mughwI' yIchu'...engaging universal translator...
>
>Oh, great.  I had hoped to avoid joining in this silliness, but I'm
>obviously doomed to failure.  You know me well, Edward.  I managed not
>to answer in the first place only through intense willpower.  Now you
>have convinced me that I might have to reveal my mission.
>
>But doesn't everyone understand that Klingons are fictional characters?

jItlhaQtaH 'e' yaj "Ed" 'ej SIbI' ja':

Ed picked up on my sarcasm and responded almost immediately.

[email protected] (Edward A Gedeon) wrote:
>  As opposed to ZR's, Centaurans, androids, and energy beings, which
>are real ... rriiiiiiiiiiiight...  :-)

<HoSDo'> vIlaDDI' pe'vIl jIHaghtaHmo' loQ quSwIjvo' jIpumchoH.

I saw "...energy beings..." and almost fell out of my chair laughing.

--
  Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist
    proud member of the Klingon Language Institute since 1995

Back to archive top level