tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 13:16:43 1997

Through and through (was: RE: vegh)

ja' peSHIr:
>> >In that case we could also use this verb to describe to someone
>> >what a person is doing during his nentay (if the row of Klingons
>> >carrying 'oy'naQmey as a single "entity" that is part of the nentay
>> >has a single word tlhIngan Hol name, and we would know it) with a
>> >very simple and compact "[the row of klingons] vegh", am I right?
>> >This row of klingons could be seen as a path with an entrance, an
>> >exit and a very definate boundary (the klingons with the
>> >'oy'naQmey).

ja' jIH:
>> NO! This is the same "through" as the "woman walking through the
>> forest" example.

ja' peSHIr:
>I don't agree. There is a definate difference here. This is
>definately a "tunnel" of some kind, while a forest obviously isn't.

ja' jIH:
>> Wonderful English word "through"... Heh heh heh... no wonder MO
>> called it {vegh}. I love it!

ja' peSHIr:
>Alright, explain the difference to me, if you can.
>Why, let me put it differently: yIQIj jay'!

*drum roll*

I go "through" a door - durch

"through" the night - die Nacht "u:ber" (no umlaut, so I'm using colon)

Monday "through" Friday - von Montag "bis" Fritag

all "through" her life - ihr ganzes Leben lang (all through - ganzes &
lang - neither word
means "through" but they carry the idea of  "all through" [lit. her
entire life long])

put "through" (as in a telephone call) - verbinden

My tlhIngan Hol is very weak so pardon the errors:
{vegh}- 'och DaveghvIS maSwov Daleghbe'

One may pass through (or {vegh}) a door, tunnel, window, etc.

ja' Steve Boozer:
>[...] Okrand has described this very ceremony in Skybox card S9,
>finessing the lack of a word for "row (of people)" - apparently
{tlhegh}
>"line, rope" wasn't quite right:
>
>  poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'. chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
>  "The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors."

Now I must call out for help from charghwI', ~mark, ghunchu'wI', SuStel,
et.al.

Soqra'tIS

Back to archive top level