tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 22 06:12:23 1997

RE: meqleH (and more tidbits)

>TPO wrote:
>>
>> Okrand has approved the spelling of meqleH
>> (the short sword thing that Worf uses on DS9 and in the movie "First
Contact")

>> This is how most of us have been spelling it all along, but now it's
offical.

>I missed that one!  When did he do that?  (Not that I'm complaining...!)

I was sitting in the main lounge after dinner on Saturday waiting for the
Cabaret to begin when Marc stopped and looked at a loss for what to be
doing.  There was an empty chair so I offered it to him.  He sat down and
began a casual conversation.  This is when I asked him about the origin of
the two verbs "to marry".  Later on in the conversation I asked him about
the proper spelling of Mek'leth.  I asked him if I spelled it correctly in
Secret Fighting Arts and after reminding him of the spelling he confirmed
it.  BTW, it *will* be in the upcoming book.

Since Krankor is not on the list I might as well relay his questions to
Okrand.  One was actually of my origin and the other a pet question of the
Kaptain's.

1. Can [-be'] be inserted between [-taH] and [-vIS] for a suffix
combination [-taHbe'vIS] (meaning something like "while discontinuously").
 The answer was:  "That's an interesting question."
2. Krankor's favorite word (he told me so) is [neHmaH] "neutral zone"
because when separated into two words [neH maH] means "We want it."  Yes it
is cute but Okrand did not intentionally do it.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but note the complexity of the
concept of "through" that is developing and then notice the similarity
between the first "through" verb [vegh] and "vague".
Also concerning [vegh]; Lawrence asked "like shit through a goose?" (or
some similar example), to which Okrand held up four fingers and replied
"Four." (as in a fourth word for "through").

HetaQ

Back to archive top level