tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 17 18:16:06 1997

Re: Hovjaj / Hov poH

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Terrence Donnelly wrote:

|At 02:29 PM 7/17/97 -0700, Qermaq wrote:
|>ghItlh Lieven:
|>
|>>I saw someone write Hovjaj for stardate.
|>>
|>>Hovjaj would mean star-day. Which one is correct?
|>>Hov poH would be the stars' time.
|>
|>Well, it depends, I guess, on what it is you are trying to say. I don't
|>personally know of any canonical use of the term in Klingon, so it is left to
|>linguistic logic.
|
|Actually, the latest HolQeD has some new Skybox cards, and in one of them, they
|apparently use the term {HovpoH} (one word).  I say _apparently_ because the
|sentence containing the word is not translated on the card, but the context
|seems pretty clear.

I wrote to Lawrence about this. It seems as if his word processor deleted
the final two English lines of Skybox S33 from his final draft which he
didn't notice before he sent this HolQeD to the printers; the lines seem
not to have wrapped to the next page. He was pretty rushed, what with
ending the academic year, finishing up this issue of HolQeD quickly in
order to get it in the mail by June 30, and preparing for the qep'a'. He
said he'd check the card again and publish a corrected version in the next
issue and try to post it sometime after qep'a' ends.

But clearly {HovpoH} is "Stardate":

	HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam ...

The topic is Chang's experimental toQDuj which could fire its weapons
while cloaked. Someone looked up Stardate 9521.6 in some Star Trek
chronology and this is indeed the date of the incident in question. We can
now retire the fannish *Hovjaj which many people used in lieu of an
official word.

Now, as to whether Klingons use the Stardate system themselves (whatever
that is) or merely refer to it when discussing Federation history is
another question.

Voragh

Back to archive top level