tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 13:31:37 1997

Qoy qeylIS puqloD

Klingon Anthem

Qoy qeylIs puqloD
Qoy puqbe'pu'
yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
SeymoHchu' mayu'
maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq
vavpu'ma' DImuvpa' reH maSuvtaH
Qu' mamevQo' maSuvtaH ma'ov

Listen, son(s) of Kahless, listen, daughters, (you) brave and loyal warrior(s).
({Qoy} is Clipped Klingon for {yIQoy}; the relative phrases are a poetic
flourish for the simple statives: {SuvwI' yoH matlh}; the absence of plural
suffixes on every noun is unimportant in the general context; the only
problem is the {je} after the relatives - we don't use it with
adjectives, IIRC, so would we use it with relatives?)

We ask: Are you totally excited? (by an up-coming battle?)
({SeymoHchu'} should be {SuSeymoHchu''a'})

We fight, we are passionate, and we kill completely. (after first addressing
the listeners, now the singer includes them in the 'we')

Our life is short, but it glows (brightly?).

We die with honor, and we continue to fight before (until?) we join our
fathers in the Black fleet.

Back to archive top level