tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 12 01:13:25 1997

Re: Space Cadets

At 12:16 AM 7/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
><http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/spacecadets>
>
>ja' Qov:
>>It's really an excellent translation of the English text, as good as
>>I could do.  If it *wasn't* done by MO, I want to meet the one who
>>did it.
>
>nuqjatlh?  jIQochqu'!
>ta'vamvaD SoH QaQ law' mughwI'qoq QaQ puS!

>"excellent"?!  {meHmeyDaq tIjaH}?!
va.  Qaghvetlh vItu'be'ba'.  moHaqmey vImISlaw'.  <pejaH> vIyajpu'.
I'll get a few well-deserved flames for that one, so I must say:
reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'.

>Using a {-vo'}-marked noun after another noun to modify it?!
It was pretty weird.  But the person who did it understood enough
of the rest of the grammar that I do not believe s/he did it in ignorance.

>Placing a {-meH} clause at the end of a sentence?!
As there was no punctuation, it's hard to say which sentence it was in.

>What you see as a "simple answer" to a long-standing issue, I see
>merely as a poor attempt to translate something without knowing how
>the grammar is supposed to work.  If Okrand *did* do this, I would
>be very surprised.  I am already very disappointed by its quality.

Shrug.  I see the flexibility and creativity of someone used to the
tlhIngan Hol mindset, willing to deviate from the English to translate the
real meaning, while sticking surprisingly close to it.  The person would
seem to have some contact with our Klingon community: they used -'e' as a
relative clause head marker. And I see a couple of  constructs so strange
that they have to be deliberate.

qonwI'vetlhvaD jIjatlh vIneHbej.

 - Qov

Back to archive top level